NITDA Digital Economy Center
The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), has set up a Digital Economy Training Centre at the Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria (MAAUN), Kano.
The Centre, located at the School of Computing, has already been equipped with the necessary facilities for the training of students of the University.
The facilities that have been put in place at the Centre include computer sets and their accessories, solar power, Generator, standing fans, printer, and Internet facilities.
The main objective of DJCC is to create digital job/wealth, develop digital skills, and promote the connection of underserved areas, schools, libraries and institutions to broadband Internet. The project is aimed at facilitating a digital lifestyle in the institutions, underserved areas (rural), as well as in the communities’ schools. Beneficiaries are expected to share these facilities with their surrounding communities on a commercial basis to support maintenance and ensure sustainability of the project.
- To enhance the abilities of communities to access information, manage local level information and disseminate this information to external communities;
- To create an enabling environment that will nurture Innovation and Entrepreneurship;
- To develop training & professional programs to promote self-employment and entrepreneurship;
- To provide & promote professional IT skills to community so that they are equipped with industry oriented quality education and training;
- To introduce practical computer courses to improve computer literacy of students, teachers and parents;
- To impart education and training with the aim of generating quality human resources in the IT industry;
- To impart a basic level IT Literacy program for the rural & Semi urban people;
- To offer job-oriented courses like E-commerce, retail management, Web design etc. to enhance IT skill;
- To bridge the gap relative working in neighbouring cities, towns, countries or abroad with those in the rural areas through the Internet and e-mail; and
- To ensure that local small-scale industries have access to information about market prices thus saving on time and travel costs.